​Senior Family Lawyers Sunday, November 17th - Tuesday, Nove
​Senior Family Lawyers Sunday, November 17th - Tuesday, Nove
Ανακοινώσεις, σχόλια, ερωτήσεις που αφορούν το περιοδικό PC MASTER

Postby sparrowcarrot » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:37 pm

I'm a new call applying for associate positions and a few job postings I've seen ask for writing samples. While I included writing samples from law school for articling applications (from papers and a moot factum), I am wondering what types of writing samples others send for associate positions? For example, would you send pleadings you've worked on, research memos you worked on as an articling student? And how would you redact any client information etc.? I have a number of research memos I could use but I am hesitant to use memos drafted for files at a different firm and just looking to see what others have done?
sparrowcarrot
Mostly Harmless

Postby sedate » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:38 pm

I think the ideal writing sample is one that best showcases your legal analysis and writing abilities: factums/memos/opinions > pleadings/affidavits etc. I think the most ideal type of writing sample, if suitable for the place you are applying to, is the first draft of a factum you wrote (or a portion thereof). It best demonstrates your research/analysis/writing skills given also that it is usually more polished than an internal research memo you write. It may well have become public record, which reduces the confidentiality concern (relative to say, a redacted legal opinion). I suggested using the first-draft because then you could credibly say that it is your independent work product.
sedate
Mostly Harmless

Postby trickilywistful » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:39 pm

In all cases I check with the counsel for whom I delivered the product to make sure they are fine with using the work product as a writing sample. On Word, I highlight any identifying information in black (names, ages, indentifying locations etc.), or replace the noun with an initial in square brackets (Mr. [X], Ms. [Y]) if it is necessary to understand what is being explained. I then convert to PDF, so that the black-redactions cannot be easily removed. Adobe Acrobat has a function for permanently redacting text as well.
trickilywistful
Poor

Postby dugoutpiggy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:39 pm

If there is actually a problem, you deal with it politely and quietly, and then you go to your principle and explain what happened. If there's a reason to intervene or make a phone call to correct an issue or tell some one else off, your principle will do it. Not you. Never you.
dugoutpiggy
Mostly Harmless

Postby strivingmarxism » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:40 pm

With all the above said, if I was applying to a law firm with a specific practice, and I wrote some critical analysis piece in law school (paper, moot factum etc.) that was squarely within that practice area, I would use that.
strivingmarxism
Mostly Harmless

Postby establishfluther » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:40 pm

-for redactions, highlighting black and printing to pdf DOES NOT remove the information. If you don't have a way to scrub the data and need to redact for anything that way, print the blacked out word version on paper and scan it.
establishfluther
Mostly Harmless

Postby kitchenprovance » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:06 pm

nice information…it is really helpful.
kitchenprovance
Escape Capsule

Postby katietelevision » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:58 pm

If you'll answer ‘yes’ to any of those queries, then you'll have suffered from police misconduct. As a victim, you'll be entitled to compensation and should enjoy seeking legal counsel with a police brutality attorney. That’s wherever we have a tendency to step in to help.

find best Police Misconduct Lawyer near me
katietelevision
Average

Return to PC Master - Το περιοδικό